I’m sure all my friends and family back in the Midwest are going “Huh?” and “yuck!” over that title.
Well get ready to change that “yuck” into a “yum!”
When we returned from our trip to Vienna, we were out of everything- even milk. Being out of milk is a dreadful thing when you love coffee as much as we do.
As a substitute, I made homemade almond milk following this recipe.
As a byproduct of the almond milk production, I was left with gorgeous, snow white almond grounds which strongly resembled ricotta cheese.
The lights flipped on.
Vegan cheese for pizza night!
Fresh out of the oven (and into poor lighting.)
This week, my fresh yeast pizza dough was topped with roasted eggplant, mushrooms and tomatoes.
Not only did this cheese substitute make a delicious pizza topping, it was equally awesome raw on my lunch salad today.
Vegan Almond Herbed Cheese
Adapted from this recipe
- about 1 1/4 cups almond grounds (leftover from making almond milk)
- 3-4 cloves garlic
- juice from 1 lemon (about 2 Tbsp.)
- 1/2 cup fresh basil
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- 1/4-1/2 cup water, added a little at a time
- Blend all ingredients in a food processor or high-speed blender adding a little water at a time until the mixture resembles crumbled goat cheese.
- Use the vegan cheese to top pizzas, salads, as a spread for sandwiches or as a dip.