For those of you who do not know me personally, this may come as a surprise.
I am a teacher by day and an actress by night.
Although I’ve not mentioned it on here before, I’ve been rehearsing to perform in a play since before the summer holidays. After many long hours and months of rehearsing, tonight is finally opening night.
I will be performing in the English theatre group, The Bonn Players’ performance of The Importance of Being Earnest.
The dress rehearsal went very well last night and I have a good, although nervous feeling about tonight.
Before heading to the theater, a fast and filling dinner was required.
Pasta with Eggplant and Mushrooms
Similar to Pasta alla Norma
- olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, slivered
- 1 eggplant, spongy parts removed and cut into chunks
- 5 large mushrooms, chopped into chunks
- 1 crushed dried red chili pepper
- 1 can tomato sauce
- salt to taste
- Italian seasoning to taste
- pinch of sugar
- Parmesan cheese… lots of it!
- cooked pasta
- Heat about a tablespoon of olive oil in a non-stick pan. Cook 1 clove of slivered garlic until translucent. Add the eggplant and chili- cook over medium heat until partially cooked. Add the mushrooms and season with salt. Cook until the vegetables are tender. Remove from heat.
- Heat 2 Tbsp. more olive oil in the same skillet. Cook the remaining 2 cloves of garlic until translucent. Add the tomato sauce, Italian seasoning and sugar. Toss in a small handful of parmesan cheese and cook over medium low heat until the sauce thickens a bit. Taste and flavor as needed.
- Add the cooked mushrooms and eggplant to the tomato sauce. Cook through. Add the cooked noodles and toss to coat. Throw in another handful of parmesan.
- Serve with fresh basil and a sprinkle of parmesan.
I hope my garlic breath doesn’t cause anguish on stage tonight!