After an unnecessary absence from blogging, I’m back with a delicious recipe to share.
The days are getting shorter and colder.
Comfort food is making a reappearance this autumn.
Vegan Apple Cinnamon Baked Oatmeal
Makes 6 servings
- 2 cups oats
- 1/3 cup and 2 Tbsp. brown sugar, divided
- 2 Tbsp. dried fruit such as raisins or dates
- 1 handful of chopped walnuts or pecans
- 1 Tbsp. cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 fresh apple, cored and sliced
- 1 3/4 cup almond or soy milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 Tbsp. and 2 teaspoons ground flaxseed, divided
- 2 tablespoons warm water
- 3 Tbsp. wheat germ
- Mix 2 Tbsp. water and 2 tsp. of ground flaxseed in a bowl and set aside to thicken. Preheat oven to 350 F (176 C.) Grease a baking dish.
- Mix together the oats, cinnamon, nutmeg, 1/3 cup brown sugar, baking powder, salt, dried fruit and nuts in a large bowl. Stir in the sliced apple.
- Add the almond milk, vanilla and apple sauce to the flaxseed mixture and stir into the dry ingredients. Pour mixture into prepared baking dish.
- In a small bowl, combine the remaining 2 Tbsp. brown sugar, 2 Tbsp. flaxseed and wheat germ. Sprinkle the crumble over the oatmeal mixture. Bake for 30-40 minutes.
- Eat as is or topped with warm almond milk or maple syrup.