My friends like to challenge my cooking skills. When getting together for a birthday or BBQ, I always ask what I can bring.
I ask and they supply some unusual requests.
It’s become a bit of a game.
The request for today’s BBQ came from a German friend who has heard about Key Lime Pie and has always wanted to try it.
Not a big deal, right?
Wrong. Some of the ingredients to the traditional treat are not to be found in Germany.
To top that, I want to feed my friends only the healthiest treats.
That’s the game I play with myself.
Luckily, I found a recipe on this site which was easily adapted to fit my friend’s request and nutritional needs.
Healthy Key Lime Pie
1 1/2 cups unsweetened shredded dried coconut
3/4 cup macadamia nuts, unsoaked
3/4 cup pecans, unsoaked
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 cup pitted medjool dates, unsoaked
2 ripe avocados
4 fresh limes, juiced
1/2 cup unpasteurized honey
1 cup prepared white beans
- Combine coconut, macadamia nuts, pecans, and sea salt in food processor and process until coarsely ground.
- Add dates and process until mixture begins to stick together in course crumbs. Be sure not to process beyond this point.
- Transfer crumbs into a 9″ pie plate or other appropriately sized container. Use your fingers to gently distribute the crumbs in an even layer along the bottom and up the sides of the container.
- After the crumbs are evenly distributed, press the crust firmly against the bottom of the plate using your fingers . Press firmly where the bottom of the pan and the sides of the pan meet. Place completed crust in the freezer for 15-20 minutes.
- Combine avocados, lime juice, beans and honey in a food processor and process until smooth, scraping down the sides as needed. Be sure that there are no noticeable chunks of beans or avocado.
- Use a spatula to spread the filling over the bottom of the hardened crust.
- Garnish with sliced limes or other fresh fruit.
- Chill for at least 2 hours before serving and serve chilled. Keeps in the refrigerator for 2-3 days.
Enjoy the process to this deceptively delicious dessert!
Simple crust ingredients
My macadamia nuts were already salted so I didn’t add the extra salt
My friend is allergic to walnuts but not pecans so I swapped them from the original recipe.
In case you’re wondering… I don’t own a pie plate.
That’s it for the crust, moving onto the filling!
Really, this is all you need.
Limes, avocados, honey and white beans.
If you want to make healthy raw vegan key lime pie, substitute agave nectar.
Prepared and rinsed white beans.
I upped the limes to 4 then used another 2 for garnish
Put it all together and what do you get?
This beauty is a keeper!