Don’t worry Dad, I’ve not converted to ‘veganism.’ Lately, I have enjoyed the extra challenges and rewards of cooking more vegan food. I love some of my new-found foods and won’t be trading them in for their vegetarian counterparts.
Breakfast was not vegan. It was rich, creamy, and delicious though!
Morning snack consisted of an Earl Gray tea and a homemade Banana Apricot Oatmeal Cookie.
Lunch was leftover vegan mac and cheese with peas.
I wouldn’t recommend this one for leftovers. It just wasn’t as creamy the second time around.
Class fruit snack was delicious strawberries picked just down the road from us.
After school I tutored, bought groceries, made homemade Greek yogurt, then started on dinner- spaghetti with vegan vegetable lentil sauce.
Spaghetti with Vegan Vegetable Lentil Sauce
- 1 ½ cups green lentils (I used up the remains of my green and red lentils)
- 3 cups water
- 1/2 tsp. vegetable bouillon
- 1 small onion, minced
- 1 medium carrot, chopped
- 1/3 red pepper, chopped
- 4 mushrooms, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 Tbsp. Italian seasoning
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 jar cheap prepared tomato sauce
- 1 Tbsp. tomato paste
- whole wheat noodles
- Rinse the lentils and pick out any stones or debris.
- Add the lentils and water to a large pan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low.
- Add in the vegetables and spices.
- Cook, uncovered for 30 minutes, or until the vegetables and lentils are tender.
- Pour in the spaghetti sauce and tomato paste, stir well.
- Heat the sauce through and serve over prepared noodles.
- Top with vegan parmesan cheese.
Makes 6 servings.
With this batch, I made 1 serving for dinner, 2 for lunches, and 3 servings frozen for future use… maybe lasagna?
Vegan Parmesan Cheese
- 1/2 cup sesame seeds
- 2 Tbsp. nutritional yeast
- Toast the sesame seeds in a frying pan over medium heat until they begin to golden. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- Add the toasted sesame seeds and nutritional yeast to a blender.
- Blend for 30 seconds.
- Sprinkle over anything and everything!
Dishes are done, cat’s have been played with and all things here are peaceful and quiet. It’s time for bed. Have a nice day!