Before I get started, I wanted to let you know that the photos from my spa day yesterday come from the website, mediterana.de. Personal cameras are strictly forbidden for reasons which will soon become known. Enjoy!
To say I’ve had two amazing days in a row is a total understatement. I have had a day of rest and a day of activity. Peace and excitement. Both days have provided a lot of laughter and great memories.
Yesterday, Kim and I became very, very intimate friends. We spent the day swimming, resting, eating and sweating it out at the Mediterana day spa- all in the nude. Yes, our friendship has reached a new level.
To say that hanging out (yes, pun intended) all day with a bunch of other nudists is liberating is again, an understatement. Bodies are beautiful. Old and young, slender and succulent the human body is so amazing!
Although one wouldn’t think that bearing all in front of strangers is a way to gain body confidence and self-esteem, but it truly is. I come from the upbringing that being naked is not the norm. About a year and a half ago, I banished all fears and exposed all in the women-only sauna at my gym. The first time I timidly entered the sauna wearing my bra and underwear, tightly wrapped by my towel and trembling hands… only to find that the women were all naked. I swallowed my fear and laid down so embarrassed to be seen in my skivvies!
Later while reading online about the health benefits of saunas, someone made a comment about the importance of nudity. If someone comes into a sauna acting ashamed and covering themselves, the other people will begin to feel uncomfortable as if they have something to hide. I certainly didn’t want to make anyone feel uncomfortable in their own skin. The next time I went to the sauna- I left my clothes in the locker and somewhat confidently put on my birthday suit!
The author also described the difference between being naked vs. nude. Naked is a derogatory word which implies that one is lacking something, it creates the feelings of shame, embarrassment and insecurity. Nude, by contrast, is positive, implying a natural state, unashamed, free, open, confident and comfortable. If I walked in to a sauna dressed, the nude people already there may feel suddenly naked. Making someone feel naked is bad in any context.
Kim was a total trooper. She had never been nude in public and was initially scared but quickly overcame her anxiety and was prancing around proud and free in no time at all!
We bought a day pass and were there from 10-6. In these 8 glorious hours we did the following:
- 10:00 arrive at the Mediterana- check in, get our locker key, get nude and get started
- 10:20 head to sauna #1- fresh herb aromatherapy. Seeing that this was Kim’s very first sauna ever, we did catch quite a bad case of the “I’m uncomfortable giggles.“ If anyone in that sauna is reading now, I would like to publicly apologize for our immaturity and rudeness. I’m sorry. Please forgive us. Thank you.
- 10:30 cold pool plunge (insert gasps and shivers here) followed by a whirlpool rest. We jiggled and wobbled against the strong jets. Cellulite be gone!
- 10:50 sauna #2- dry heat and gentle music
- 11:10 swimming indoor to outdoor pool, Dead Sea salt thermal bath, then swimming back into the building
- 11:30 sauna #3- stone sauna- hot, hot, HOT!
- 11:45 COLD shower then more swimming, thermal bath, and swimming (STBS)
- 12:00 Rest beside the trickling fountain with rose peddles
- 12:15 Foot soak and talk about lunch
- 12:30 Lunch- beautiful wild leaf salad with goat cheese and caramelized walnuts. Fresh kiwi, raspberries, apple, orange and mango adorned this stellar salad. Do try this at home.
- 1:00 Sauna #3- Rose temple- wow, top of the list on this one, the walls are made of rose quartz and the room is wafting with the delicate scent of roses
- 1:20 quick cold shower and into sauna #4- Candle sauna. Yup, this one was covered with little nooks containing candles in beautiful lanterns
- 1:30- Time for another swim!
- 2:00- stumbled into a beautiful room with a starry sty and plush lounge chairs. Kim looked at me and said “this looks nice.” We then laid down and took a nap. Yes, I paid to sleep in a beautiful room!
- 2:30- I feel a tap on my hand and wake up- we decide to visit sauna #5- aromatherapy sauna to strengthen our immune system against colds.
- 2:50- Bored by the low heat and strange circular sitting formation, we head to the old faithful- sauna #6, Rose temple
- 3:10- Sit down around another lovely fountain to check out the map and plan our afternoon. We open the map to discover that there are two more huge wings we hadn’t yet explored
- 3:20- Welcome to euphoria part 2! We discover another HUGE heated pool that extends into another beautiful outdoor garden. The sun is shining so bright that it hurts my eyes. Blue skies hand above us without a speck of white to be found. We swim around, nude and natural, talking about how wonderful our lives are. If I were mysteriously dropped in that pool at that exact moment again, I would honestly open my eyes and think I was in Morocco.
- 3:35- move to the outdoor jacuzzi to vocalize our appreciation to be exactly where we are at that moment.
- 3:50- sauna #7- sweating alongside Vata, Pitta and Kapha in the Indian Ayurveda sauna
- 4:00- more swimming
- 4:20- OPERATION RE-HYDRATE followed by resting and reading in another set of comfortable, body forming chairs
- 4:45- sauna #8- eucalyptus aromatherapy in a mud-brick sauna
- 5:00- quick cold rinse then into the last sauna of the day- sauna #9 Himalayan Salt Crystal. This was probably my favorite. It was positioned outside, separate from the main building along a small path. Once inside the building, the showers were to the left and a spiral staircase led guests down into the earth where this, the only underground sauna, was placed. This sauna also had the best lead-up to the actual sauna. We had to walk down a long dark hallway which was scented with burning incense. All through the hall, salt crystals are placed beside benches and cushions. Inside the sauna, I was overwhelmed by the amount of crystals. The entire room was lined with these beautiful stones. The walls and ceilings radiated the warmth and healing powers. I laid down, stared at the amazing ceiling, and said a little prayer of thanks for this amazing day.
- 5:20- left the Salt Crystal sauna feeling so content and happy. Took another quick cold rinse then we walked one more final lap around the beautiful spa before showering, dressing and heading back into the real world.
I am so glad I had this opportunity! Kim and I must have said what a great idea it was to have gone about 3,000 times that day. I would recommend a day like this for anyone.
It really was relaxing, rejuvenating, and peace-forming.
Today was another wonderful day in completely different terms!
Woke up to fresh veggies and eggs.
Read in bed, took another little nap, then got ready for the day.
Sebastian and I decided to rent a car for the weekend to take a few day trips. We picked up the car at 12 then hit the autobahn! I have been wanting to go to Aachen for a while, so it was our first stop. We drove the scenic route from Bonn to Aachen and arrived around 3:00. Unfortunately, it was a bit overcast though.
Lunch was had at a Mexican- style restaurant. The lunch special was still on so we both enjoyed a huge meal and drink for under €6.
While we waited for our food, Sebastian played tour guide.
Wandering around the city was a bit of a let down. I had built the city up in my mind based on its historical importance. Modern-day Aachen looked like most other western German towns.
Large and impressive city hall.
Isn’t it a shame when this is a let down?
The Cathedral was the most impressive part of Aachen.
We hit the road once more, riding the winding roads back to Bonn. We took complete advantage of the car by stocking up on kitty litter. Priorities people, priorities.
I had so much fun today driving around and laughing with Sebastian. 3 and a half years into it and he is still the person I most enjoy spending time with. Again, I pause to thank God for the life he has provided.
I am so overwhelmingly blessed!
Back at home, I look forward to the greatness that rests ahead in tomorrow’s day of adventures!