Over the last few weeks, strawberries have burst into season in Germany.
The tiny fruit stand down the road has once again set-up-shop, ready to share the bounty of their berries.
As I approached the stand last week, the smell of strawberries was so pungent, I felt like I was walking through the fields.
In honor of the fresh spring strawberries and their very compatible blueberry friends, I made a delicious vegan tart.
The crust was a simple combination of almond meal, maple syrup, coconut oil, salt and almond extract.
After heating the maple syrup, coconut oil, and salt together over medium-low heat, I added the almond extract then poured the warm mixture over the almond meal.
Simply fold the mixture until well incorporated then press into an oiled tart pan.
This crust is baked for 15 minutes before adding the filling.
Speaking of the filling…
The filling ingredients are apple juice (I used Weber,) cornstarch, maple syrup, lemon juice, almond extract, lemon zest, salt, blueberries and strawberries.
Half of the apple juice is whisked together with the cornstarch then set aside.
The mixture will look quite milky.
From here on out, I didn’t take any pictures, but the next step is to cook together the remaining apple juice and zest, maple syrup, lemon juice, almond extract and salt until it simmers.
After that, stir in half of the berries and cook until they release their juices before reducing the heat and adding the cornstarch mixer while continuing to whisk.
Once the mixture is thick, fold in the remaining berries and place the mixture in the prepared crust. Spread evenly, cover and refrigerate until set.
Delicious, fresh and spring-like!
Mixed Berry Tart
Adapted from Clean Start by Terry Walters
2 cups almond meal
2 Tablespoons maple syrup
1 Tablespoon coconut oil
pinch of sea salt
1 teaspoon almond extract
1 cup apple juice
2 and 1/2 Tablespoons cornstarch
1/2 cup maple syrup
2 Tablespoons lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon almond extract
zest of 1 lemon
pinch of sea salt
1 cup fresh blueberries
1 cup fresh strawberries
- Preheat your oven to 350 F and lightly oil a 9-inch tart pan with coconut oil.
- To prepare the crust, combine maple syrup, coconut oil and salt in a small skillet and heat over medium-low hear, whisking continuously until the oil is melted. Remove from heat and whisk in the almond extract.
- Place the almond meal in a large bowl and pour the syrup mixture over top, folding to incorporate the ingredients.
- Press the dough into the prepared tart pan and bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown. Remove crust from the oven and press down any bubbly areas of the crust. Cool the crust on a wire rack.
- To prepare the filling, whisk together 1/2 cup apple juice and the cornstarch in a small bowl and set aside. In a medium saucepan, over medium heat, combine the remaining 1/2 cup apple juice with the maple syrup, lemon juice and zest, almond extract and salt. Bring the mixture to a simmer then add 1/2 a cup of both the strawberries and blueberries. Stir the mixture until the berries release their liquid.
- Reduce the heat and whisk in the cornstarch mixture. Continue to whisk until the liquid thickens up. Remove from the heat and gently fold in the remaining berries.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared crust, cover and refrigerate until the filling is set, at least 1 hour.