Happy Independence Day my fellow Americans!
On this 4th of July, I’m looking forward to the 5th and 8th. On these two dates, friends and past roommates will arrive in Germany.
My friend Christina arrives tomorrow and will stay until the 7th, then my friend Katie will arrive on the 8th.
Katie and I will be traveling and hiking through France for 5-7 days. Our plans are not fixed, but I’ve been busy attempting to arrange cheap travel with carpooling and couchsurfing. Once Katie is here, the real fun and planning will begin.
One recipe that screams America is banana bread.
Everyone needs a good banana bread recipe.
If you’re trying to avoid dairy or animal products for any reason, give this delicious vegan banana bread recipe a try.
Vegan Banana Bread
2 cups all purpose flour
1 cup powdered sugar
1 tablespoon ground flax seed
1/2 cup crushed walnuts
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
3 ripe bananas
1/4 cup vegetable oil
2-4 Tablespoons soy milk, as needed to form a good consistency
- Mash the bananas with a fork. Add powdered sugar and oil to the mashed bananas and mix well.
- Combine the flour, salt, baking powder, ground flax and crushed walnuts in a separate mixing bowl.
- Add the mashed banana mixture to the dry ingredients and mix well to make a batter. Add soy milk as needed to adjust the consistency.
- Grease a loaf pan with little oil and add the batter to it.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 45 – 60 minutes, or a toothpick comes out clean when stuck in the middle of the loaf.
- Remove to a cooling rack, cool completely before slicing (if you can wait that long.)