Tomorrow the Room Mums from my class are throwing a farewell party for the four children who are leaving our school at the end of the year.
One of the hardest parts about working in an international school is that families come and go quite easily. Parents are relocated for work and the kids are off to new lands. Although this is exciting and allows for so many wonderful learning opportunities, it’s also a bit sad.
Where I grew up, people rarely moved. The class roster was almost identical for 13 years.I graduated high school with almost all the same people that I went to kindergarten with.
My high school English teacher even taught my father.
Saying goodbye to children is really hard for me. I care so much for each and every child in my class, and the thought that I will probably never see them again breaks my heart.
So, to make the farewells more bearable, we’re throwing a party.
To make the farewells more sweet, I baked cupcakes.
Healthy Vegan Chocolate Banana Cupcakes
Slightly adapted from: Confessions of a Bake-a-Holic
4 cups flour
2 2/3 cups raw sugar
1 1/3 cup cocoa powder
1 Tablespoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup oil
1/4 cup apple sauce
3 cups hot water
2 teaspoons vanilla
3 very ripe bananas, mashed
- Preheat oven to 350. Line or oil a muffin tin.
- In medium bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, cocoa, soda and salt.
- In a large bowl, combine oil, apple sauce, hot water and vanilla. Add dry ingredients. Mix just to combine. Add bananas.
- Pour batter into prepared muffin tin. Bake for about 20 minutes, until a tester inserted in the middle of a cupcake comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and let cool. Store in the refrigerator. Before serving, dust with powdered sugar.