Amidst report writing this evening, I took a much needed break to made a delicious dinner.
Using the ingredients I had on hand, I slightly altered the original recipe; making this a vegan pasta dish while maintaining the addition of a protein through TVP ‘breadcrumbs’.
If you are looking interested in detailed step-by-step photo instructions, I encourage you to visit Ward Street Bistro.
The ingredient list is quite simple, relying mainly on pantry staples.
Gently toast the TVP in olive oil until it turns golden brown and resembles breadcrumbs, set aside. Wipe out the skillet, add more olive oil then cook the cauliflower over medium heat until soft.
Once the cauliflower is softened, add the garlic and tomato paste mixture. Cook for a few minutes then add the saffron water, capers, chili peppers, salt and pepper. Cook until thickened into a sauce. Add the cooked pasta with a bit of pasta water if necessary.
Serve the pasta topped with chopped fresh parsley and the TVP breadcrumbs.
Sicilian Pasta with Cauliflower and TVP Breadcrumbs
Vegan~ Vegetarian~ Serves 4
1/3 cup small textured vegetable protein (TVP,) slightly rehydrated with 1 teaspoon water
1 tablespoon of olive oil
3 tablespoons tomato paste
1 14 1/2-ounce can diced tomatoes in juice
4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 large head cauliflower, core removed, florets finely chopped
5 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
2 tablespoons roughly chopped capers
A generous pinch crumbled saffron dissolved in 1/4 cup warm water
3/4 pound whole wheat pasta
Finely chopped Italian parsley
2 crumbled small dried chilies
salt and pepper to taste
- In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil over medium heat. Add the fresh TVP and toast until golden brown. Set aside.
- Combine the tomato paste and juice from the can of tomatoes in a small bowl. Stir to combine (reserving the diced tomatoes).
- In a large skillet, heat 3 tablespoons olive oil over medium heat. Add the chopped cauliflower to the skillet. Cook the cauliflower until it is softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the minced garlic and tomato paste/juice mixture to the skillet. Cover and simmer the sauce over low heat for about 10 minutes, until the cauliflower is very tender.
- Add the reserved diced tomatoes, the roughly chopped capers, and the dissolved saffron to the skillet.
- Simmer the sauce, uncovered, over medium heat until it thickens, about 5 minutes. Add the crumbled dried chilies and salt and pepper to taste.
- Cook the pasta according to the package directions. Turn the drained, hot pasta into the warm sauce and stir thoroughly to combine.
- Serve immediately garnished with the toasted TVP ‘breadcrumbs’ and chopped parsley.