I’m about to talk about Bakers Square.
Do Bakers Square restaurants still exist in the USA?
I’m not so sure.
I vaguely remember several branches going out of business.
Has the whole operation gone belly up?
Someone please answer me.
I’m not sure I’ll be able to sleep tonight unless I know.
For as long as I can remember, visits to Bakers Square involved one meal and one meal only.
The Chicken Focaccia Sandwich.
Sautéed mushrooms and red onions, a grilled chicken breast, Swiss cheese and honey mustard sauce served on warm focaccia bread with a side of seasoned fries.
Once I became a vegetarian, I didn’t give up the Bakers Square Chicken Focaccia tradition.
It just became: sautéed mushrooms and red onions, Swiss cheese and honey mustard served on warm focaccia bread with a side of seasoned fries.
Dinner tonight was a new and improved version of my favorite sandwich from the restaurant chain which might not exist anymore.
Tofu Mushroom Focaccia Sandwich
- 2 servings of focaccia bread, toasted
- drizzle of olive oil
- 1 block smoked tofu, drained and sliced
- 2 cups mushrooms, chopped
- 2 small red onions, sliced
- Italian seasoning to taste
- Seasoned salt to taste
- 2 slices Swiss cheese
- 2 Tbsp. honey mustard
- Warm the olive oil in a non-stick pan. Sautee the onions, mushrooms and tofu with the spices until golden brown.
- Toast the focaccia bread. Place the cheese on the hot bread, top with the sautéed mixture. You can either spread the honey mustard on the sandwich or use it as a dipping sauce.
This sandwich is so tasty and easy.
When you can make this in 15 minutes, who needs Bakers Square anyways?