I’d like to begin this post by mentioning that Jenna is a genius.
I followed Jenna’s recipe pretty closely but made a few changes based on the ingredients I had on hand. These changes are shown below. To see her original pizza dough recipe, look here. To see her original cheesy zucchini pizza recipe, look here .
Either way, this recipe is a winner!
Cheesy Zucchini Pizza
For 2 pizza dough
- 1 packet active dry yeast
- 1 1/3 cup warm water
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- cornmeal for dusting
For the cheese sauce
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- salt and pepper to taste
For the zucchini
- 2 zucchinis
- 1 ball fresh mozzarella, about 3/4 cup
- 3/4 cup soft goat cheese
- crushed red chili flakes, salt and pepper to taste
- Proof the yeast in a small bowl with the warm water and sugar. Wait 10 minutes, or until bubbly. Mix together the flours and salt.
- Create a well in the dry ingredients and pour in the proofed yeast and olive oil. Mix well. Kneed on a floured surface for 5-8 minutes, or until elastic.
- Put the dough in an oiled bowl and let rest in a warm place, covered with plastic wrap for 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, prepare the sauce by mixing the ricotta and garlic. Season with salt and pepper then set aside.
- Grate the zucchinis into a clean kitchen towel. Squeeze out any extra liquid. Add to a medium-sized bowl and mix together with the torn mozzarella and crumbled goat cheese- hands work well for mixing!Season with salt and pepper.
- Dust a large baking sheet with cornmeal. Shape half of the pizza dough and place it on the prepared pan.
- Spread the cheese sauce over the dough and top that with the zucchini mixture. Sprinkle with crushed red chili flakes, if desired.
- Bake in an oven, preheated to 450 F, for 12-15 minutes or until the crust is golden and the cheese is melted. Cool slightly, cut and enjoy with a glass of wine!
Even Sebastian, the zucchini hater thought this recipe was fantastic. “Much better than frozen pizza.”
I’d have to agree whole-heartedly!