On my last birthday, I was given the most amazing carrot cupcakes as a gift. They were light, fluffy, moist, not too sweet… absolute carrot cupcake perfection. These heavenly cupcakes were baked for me by one of my students. Unfortunately, she and her family have since moved back to Australia, but she left me the secret code to her delicious recipe!
I now share this recipe with you.
I think her little introduction is so sweet!
Lexie’s Healthy Carrot Cupcakes
Although I wouldn’t necisarily, call these healthy, the recipe is healthier than others! Lexie forgot to write how much sugar to use for her recipe so I’ve just taken a guess below.
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- ½ cup packed brown sugar
- 9 medium carrots, finely grated
- 300 g (2 cups) wholewheat flour
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- 1 rounded teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 300 ml (1 ¼ cup )sunflower oil- I used half apple sauce and half oil
- Preheat over to 180ºC (350 ºF) and line the muffin tray
- Beat the eggs and sugar until they are light and fluffy
- Pour the sunflower oil in and beat for a few more minutes
- Fold in the carrots and then the flour with the brown cinnamon, baking soda, powder and salt
- Then pour the mixture in the cupcake baking trays and bake them for about 20 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean
- 125 g (just over ½ cup) unsalted butter
- 250 g (just over 1 cup) cream cheese
- ½ tsp. vanilla
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar
- Beat all the icing ingredients for a few minutes until the mixture is smooth
- When the cupcakes have completely cooled, add the icing on the top
Now enjoy the pictorial
Today is my dear friend Kate’s birthday party. Her real birthday isn’t until next Saturday, but most of us will be on our Easter holidays by then, so she’s bumped up the celebration.